Sunday, April 17, 2005

the sage speaketh once again!

Sundays are becoming quite spiritual for me. Maybe not in the real sense of the word… I mean the perceived sense of the word at least. There was another session of good old “satsang” today too.

I got to learn something more about the being of a ‘sadguru’. It is quite essential and sometimes enormously helpful to have the ‘right’ teacher. By right I mean a mentor who you can connect to. It is only faith in the actions of his words that one learns to imbibe and apply. It could be anything, business, service, spirituality or even something as simple as music. We tend to have our focus quite divided amongst the things we want to do and those that are expected to be done. In that case you wouldn’t want to call it ‘focus’ but you know what I mean. The essential part is not ‘defocusing’ yourself from the distractions (that’s quite easily preached and hardly practiced) but the fact that you can ‘refocus’ your energies in that one mentor that you choose. That makes it simpler to set goals and more importantly achieve them.

I remember the time when I wanted to learn how to play a guitar but I never could. The academics always eclipsed the extra-curricula and as a result I never could take any formal training. Then came along this friend who knew his bare little about guitaring and that’s where I understood the concept of chords. Then I moved on to watch him play and then picked up a couple of chords from his progressions until I reached a level he had achieved. Now I had to move on and before I could regret the fact that I would have to wait for someone to take me further, I found another friend who had a lot of knowledge about chord-note agreements. This is where I learnt the fundas of rhythm setting and tuning. I exhausted his share of teachings just by copying him and practicing my own variations. I grew and grew till the point where I started figuring out my own tunes and understanding music in a more panoramic perception (if you will). The point is, I imitated each of my gurus without a doubt in his ability. All I could see was his dedication to his guitar and my responsibility towards my aim. I was ‘focused’ if I may say so. And this is applicable almost everywhere. Each time you are in the midst of a situation (not necessarily a very grave one) you have to picture this mentor dealing with it. Compare notes. See how you can imitate his action and with a complete faith in your action, face it… there is barely any chance of you going wrong. So there we have it… gyan for the day. But seriously, this kind of an approach is the most practicable approach to life in general. It leaves a lens behind that allows you to broaden the sight of your so-far-perceived horizons. Works for me at least…

Everyone must blink their eyes every once in a while to prevent tears from coming in…. think about it.

No comments: